Tuesday, May 8, 2012

When it rains it pours here in Tanzania. It’s the start of the rainy season, and the name is aptly given. It’s pouring outside now, creating a steady drum against the roof of the house. I shaved the moustache, too. I gave up on trying to join the moustache club just to spite how sick I’ve felt lately. I’m convinced the moustache heard me talking about shaving it off and to get even it turned against me and made me feel under the weather the last couple of days. I showed it though.
            Before the shaving of the moustache though, I had a really great day at the orphanage last Saturday. Theresa, Hayley, Kate, Ema, and I all went there for the day and brought with us two bikes for the kids to ride and a bunch of beads so the kids could make jewelry. Ema and I had to go out for a little bit though to get air put in the tires, but once we got back I went outside and tried to teach some of the kids how to ride a bike. It’s been a long time since I’ve actually ridden a bike, but like the old saying goes, it came back naturally. I asked Gift if he had ever heard of the phrase, “Just like riding a bike,” and this was the response I got. 
            Teaching someone to ride a bike is a whole lot tougher than actually riding one I learned. At first I just tried running along with them, keeping them balanced and straight, but after a while I got pretty worn out from that. It wasn’t until Kate came out and gave them the instructions of push hard down on one pedal and then immediately do the same with the other did most of the kids start really getting the hang of it. Shabani and Juma were a big help though in the whole teaching process since they already knew how to ride, and so they actually showed a bunch of the kids how to ride better than I could. It was still exciting though seeing how happy learning to ride a bike made them. Gift ran up to me at one point and was jumping up and down yelling, “I love riding a bike!” I swear it took me longer to learn to ride a bike than it did with them, and I had training wheels to help, whereas they just had to hop on and give it their best shot. After helping with the bike riding we went inside and worked on a few letters for sponsors, and then the games really began.
            Here we have the events of the most epic game of red rover I’ve ever played. It was a riveting game. Back and forth teams were losing and gaining key players in the chain with every hard fought assault. Eliona began the game on our team, but then the chant rang out from the other team, “Red rover, red rover, send Eliona on over.” He was nervous, I could tell, but up for the challenge. Together, we inspected the opponents chain, looking for weaknesses and the best location for his attack.  After much deliberation, we sent him on his attack, all cheering behind him.
           

Alas, we lost a good man.
           

Back and forth the teams went. Grueling battles were won and lost, but then the chant began. It started off quiet, almost at a whisper. I was even uncertain as to if it was really happening, but then it all starting coming in clear, “Red rover, red rover, send Kyle on over.” They had made a dire mistake.
            I pointed out the spot of attack, calling my placement like the great Bambino.
            Still, I had to consult with the team. Strain was on all our faces, worried that I might not come back.            




We came up with a plan of attack.
Fear wins before the battle begins.
I charged headstrong into the enemy’s defenses. I could smell the fear, and it smelt like...

                                                              
                                                                         Victory.
           
We all walked a little taller after that day.
           
            After a long day with the kids and much sweat and tears shed in the Red Rover War, there was only one thing left to do…the next day of course, because I went right to bed as soon as we got home.
Hand wash my laundry from the past couple of weeks. I really appreciate washers and dryers now that’s for sure. By the end of it all I had blisters beginning to form on my hands from ringing out all the shirts and pants that I washed. I might just give up on doing laundry for the next 6 months if this is what it entails. In place of wearing my moustache with pride, I now substitute that caterpillar of fur with the dirt and grime of unwashed clothes. The decision has been made.

All in all a really good weekend. I went on my second hash on Sunday. We started off in Shantytown, a suburb of Moshi where more of the white families and wealthier residence reside, and ironically named as well. The hike was pretty simple, we started off walking through the neighborhood and then went into some more jungle covered areas where we had to avoid prickly bushes and thorns for a little bit, but then it turned into a nice stroll through some farmlands with some breathtaking views. Had another Serengeti at the end of it.

I’ll close this blog out though with a little promotional ad for myself. I’ve set up a fundraising page for an event that MAD is doing, The Kilimanjaro Fundraising Climb. Any donation would be greatly appreciated and will be going to a great cause so if you could just take a quick gander at it that would be awesome. Thanks!

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/kyletaylor/kilimanjarofundraiserclimb

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like your having fun! I know the kids are crazy about you. I miss and love you and I like you without a mustache, anyway!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I am getting glowing reports so keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you having a great time my man! the kids sound awesome and seem to like you a lot. i love reading your blogs keep up the good work buddy!
    -Bradley Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice blog Kyle. you didn't tell the kids didn't know about your 'semi-professional' red rover status... now they know. i'm glad things are going well and good luck with the fund raising, i know all the folks out there will see their way to helping the kids... love ya. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. if you are raising money for KILI - does that mean you are one of the climbers for the July trek? I hope you are...it's a fabulous hike and a monumental accomplishment to reach the top.

    ReplyDelete