Saturday, April 14, 2012

Have no fear, I'm here.
I've made it to Tanzania after a long and sort of grueling flight. The first leg to Amsterdam was pretty bad because the guy sitting next to me didn't speak English very well and so I didn't really know how to make the hand gesture for peeing so what can you do. I did watch four movies though so can't complain. The second leg of the flight though was awesome because I got an entire row in the very back of the plane to myself so I just laid down and tried to sleep for most of it. I would have slept better if this little kid an aisle over didn't keep grabbing my toes.I watched Meet the Parents at one point though, and they actually edited out the bomb on a plane scene at the end which I guess is appropriate. Enough about the flight though.

When I got off the plane at about 8:30pm local time it was still 80 degrees outside and just as humid as it was in Georgia. The airport was essentially just one runway and we walked down stairs that pulled up to the plane doors. No problems going through customs, I paid my entrance and filled out the paper work and that was that. The Make a Difference Now organization had a driver pick me up at the airport with a sign with my name on it so that was neat because that's never happened before.

They drive on the left side of the road here, and from the looks of it they have no traffic laws, stop signs, or stop lights. We were flying down the road and passing vehicles left and right and at one point I swear I saw a lion on the side of the road that looked suspiciously like a donkey. I got to the house in one piece though and it's very nice and I have my own room, but I am sleeping on a bunk bed. There's no air conditioning, but I do have a fan. There is no hot water though, but the cold showers are actually refreshing.
It's all very beautiful here and I'll talk more about it later, but seeing as how I've only been here less than a day I don't feel like I can talk about it. So, that's it for now.

They don't have Dr. Pepper here btw....

9 comments:

  1. Hey Kyle loved the post keep smiling we will keep the Pepper cold for you. Post pictures when you can. Love you. Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kyle,
    Glad you got there safely. We are so excited for you to be able to experience something like this. We can't wait to hear all the stories and see pictures. Good luck!

    Love,
    Greg & Sloane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey precious, thinking of you! Hope you've had a good day. How's the food so far? Luuuu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kyle, great post, can't wait for more. Love Glynn and Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you made it there in one piece. Can't wait to read more of your posts! :)

    Love,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kyle! So glad you arrived there safely. I loved your post and I can't wait to read more about your experiences over there!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hola hombre! Glad you got into Tanzania in one piece! Too bad I can't just quit school and come over there with you but someones gotta stay here and pick up the slack on the Dr. Pepper that you cant drink now, right? Hope things are going good and you made some amigos, but I'm sure you already have. Saw the pictures, looks like a pretty awesome place. Talk to you soon brotha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kyle, this is Trigg's Mom...Eenee Ferrano. O MY GOSH....!!! You are working with Theresa Grant and MAD ! That's who I spent 6 weeks with in 2010 ! It's so very exciting that have connected with them. I know all the children you work with, Christina, Upendo, Edward, Innocent, etc.... How wonderful that you are with them.
    I didn't follow your BOLG for several months but something clicked when I saw a mention from Theres's news that Kyle Taylor was working with her. That's such a wonderful coincidence.
    Now, I will go back and read all your BLOGS. ! and send a note to Theresa. I know you are having a great time!
    best to you, Eenee Ferrano

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete